Discussion about homosexuality and religion

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Discussion about homosexuality and religion

Post by Annemiek on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:33 pm

((So, I split up the pairing-topic because there was a lot of off-topic chat about gay people and religion..
I don't really mind discussions like this, as long as there's no yelling and cursing and everyone respects the choices and opinions of others. So I'll allow you all to continue the discussion, but keep it nice, people!))

Yeah, I agree..
Nickelodeon shows how it's okay to fall in love with your teacher when you're 9 years old.. ( XD ) but when it comes to gay people, they won't have anything to do with it..
That's immature.. in todays society they SHOULD show things like that, so kids grow up knowing it's not weird or anything..
There are lots of cartoons that do that, like Braceface.. So why can't Nickelodeon..?

Last edited by Annemiek on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Eugene

View user profile http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion about homosexuality and religion

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:47 am

That's probably why Braceface's 3rd season never aired in the U.S., and it's definitely part of the reason so much was edited when Cardcaptor Sakura became Cardcaptors (trying to brush over Li's crush on Yukito, pretending Tomoyo never liked Sakura, trying to hide how Yukito and Toya felt about one another...looking back, it was a very clumsy edit).

But I do agree. I think if kids are shown it at an earlier age, they'll be able to understand it better. And that's all the better for those kids who start questioning themselves at a particularly young age, and realize they do like the same sex.

So Mr. Simmons and his boyfriend is one of my favorite pairings.

Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:35 am

Wait.

What happened in S3 of Braceface? I NEVER KNEW THAT THERE WAS A SECRET SEASON WTH?!

Personally, I thought Simmons' boyfriend was kind of a jerk and I think he deserves someone waaaaaay better.

Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

View user profile http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 am

It's thought it wasn't allowed to air in America because they introduced a gay character, and it was airing on what is considered a 'family' channel. (No, I don't think that's a good enough reason, personally...)

He was, but then they were around Simmons family and that could have been making him testy. We never got to see the pair together without Simmons family, and well...he's such a sweet guy, but his family is..uh...not. Who's to say that his boyfriend might not be just as sweet as Simmons is, but felt he had to act like that to protect himself from his semi-in-laws?

Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 am

Um... I'm a bit uncomfortable about talking about gay people. *Squirms* I don't think it's bad at all that they don't show that much gayness on Nick. It is a kid channel. I'd be really uncomfortable with a little nine year old boy running around with another nine year old boy. It just goes against nature.

And I am a Christian... so... I'm just gonna go now. I don't want to start any issues or arguments over this. I have my opinions, and you all have yours.

I always knew that was Mr. Simmons' boyfriend. I just tried to ignore it, though.

*Clears throat awkwardly* I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm immature because I'm uncomfortable with all this, because I don't agree with it... But I am not against gay people.

I know that they're (For whatever reason) attracted to the same sex. I don't know why, but I know they can't control that, and I don't blame them for it. But that doesn't mean I approve of any of it. But I still think that people should be given free will to be with who they like... whether it's wrong or not, we can't really control that. But I don't think they should force those kinds of issues onto little children. They'll find out when they're old enough and ready to handle such things.

*Sighs* Please don't comment on my opinions here. This is just what I've read in the Bible, and I just so happen to believe it... so... don't yell at me over this issue, and don't try to change my mind over this. I stand my ground on this no matter what.

Anyhoo... Onto a less awkward (And potentially dangerous) issue. I too can see Mr. Simmons being paired with Dr. Bliss. I think they'd look cute! Smile I think Mr. Simmons is bisexual. He's too much of a girl not to be attracted to guys, but he's also too masculine (In my opinion) to be attracted to ONLY guys. Plus when Dr. Bliss came into the classroom, he seemed really nervous. It's possible it wasn't JUST because she was a psychologist. I think he thought she was pretty. So I definitely could see him hitting on her. XD

Mr. Simmons is a dog. XD That just doesn't sound right.

One last time, I am not against gay people, but I am not okay with it. And I don't think Nick should show a bunch of guys with guys and girls with girls. No one try and change my mind, because... well... It would be more likely that you could fly all the way to Saturn without a space ship and find a band of alien wildebeets who devour your body and then poop you back out... and you still survive.

Wow That's how I feel, and I stand by God. Sorry if you don't agree.

Weird1

Female Number of posts : 386
Country : I live in the place, with the people, and the crap! That's all you need to know.
Favorite character : Helga! Doi!!!
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Character Character: Gerald

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2132423/SuprSingr

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:02 am

I'm not saying it's bad or anything. I get why they are that way, and I don't blame them for it. And I've had gay friend's before too, which is WHY I don't blame them for it. I once knew a bisexual person who was very nice, and I liked her a lot. She was a very sweet, and caring person. This is just what I believe, and I'll never be afraid to admit that I am a firm believer of God and Jesus Christ.

Weird1

Country : I live in the place, with the people, and the crap! That's all you need to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:59 am

So Braceface season 3 never aired in America, just because there's a gay guy?!
Lips are sealed
OMG

It was aired on a kids channel here. No problem at all. One of the most popular cartoons back then.
His real name is Mark, but he wants to be called Dion, after Celine Dion. At first he was Sharon's mentor, but they became close friends. He's a fashion designer. And he's so cute XD
There was this one episode, where Sharon's mom hired a painter, he was gay too, and Sharon tried to get them to date, because she thought Dion was lonely cause he didn't have a boyfriend, loved that episode XD

I guess Holland's just a a little more ahead of most other countries when it comes to things like that Worship
I've been on Catholic school, we had catholic lessons and stuff like that, but everyone's always been very openminded about everything. We had a gay teacher, which was totally fine with everyone.. In art school there were lots of gay teachers, seriously, guys with leather pants and girlish walks 'n all XD
I know a lot of gay couples who adopted kids..
But if you want to make sure those kids won't be teased with that, you have to teach other kids that having two mothers or two fathers is normal.. best way to do that is through cartoons ^^

Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 am

Weird1, I really understand why you don't really like the idea of two guys of girls loving each other. If people keep telling you that it's wrong, than that just sticks.

Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Standard Toaster on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:40 am

[rant]

I know I introduced myself 2.1 seconds ago, but I can't but help interject on this whole homosexuality + christianity = incompatible. Weird1, you seem mature about it considering your age and religions which is wonderfully lacking in the young christian community please continue to be cool like that.

That said I understand why many christians have so much built up... disdain for gays. Many christians take the bible as completely literally [unless they don't understand a verse than it's okay to crack out ye old historical context], and the bible as inerrant [without error and applicable to all time periods].

This idea has been the root to a loooot of problems for various groups of people in the United states [and the world]. The bible was used to justify slavery, suppressing women's roles in the church, and the crusades.

It's a problem to think human minds are without error in interpreting the bible to their own cultural biases. I've done some [I still in this process] research on the subject and I've come to the conclusion that no where in the bible has it been said it was a sin against God so much as a sin against the culture at the time.

[/rant]

Standard Toaster

Female Number of posts : 31
Favorite character : Helga, Miriam
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Character Character: Helga

View user profile http://xilia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:54 pm

So much to say, so much to say. *Sigh*

Let's see... Annemiek, there have indeed been people who have told me it is wrong, but there have also been people who told me it's no big deal. I've heard other peoples' opinions, but this is uniquely mine. No one told me one day "You will think gays are bad, and that is final.". I concocted my own opinion on the situation. I read in the Bible, that a man is meant to be with a woman, and vice-versa. That is right, it's natural... but gays twist that around. I'm not saying that it's bad. I get that they can't help it. They're attracted to the same sex, and people often give them a hard time about it, but it's who they are. I'm not one of those people who run around screaming at gay people that they're wrong. I know they can't really help it. I don't blame them, or anyone really for it. I don't approve of it, but I don't disapprove. God gave us free will as a gift because he loves us, so if someone wants to run around with the same sex, then good for them. I don't believe it to be bad, or good. It's just the way it is. *Shrugs*

I've heard plenty of people yell and scream over this, and I think it's all just ridiculous! Everyone thinks they're automatically right. Everyone who thinks it's wrong, is just like, "Oh, it's a horrible thing and they should all burn, end of story." and then everyone who thinks it's right is all, "Oh, it's perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with it at all."

I think everyone is just being silly. It's not bad, and it's not good. It's just the way it is. People have got to stop yelling that what they think is the correct way to think it. I'm not saying my opinions here are right, but this is how I feel about it all.

Now, Standard Toaster (Love the name by the way), I have no clue what the point of your rant was. I read it twice, and I'm sorry to say that I don't know what you were trying to say. So... Sorry.

But I did see that you called me mature and cool. Big Grin Compliments are so rare to me, so thank you. Well... genuine ones are at least.

I also noticed that you said that people take the Bible literally? Eh, not where I come from. Here we think of the Bible as more of a... poem, if you will. And I mostly read simple verses. I love the Bible. It's so... well, poetic. Doi.

John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

How poetic is THAT?! XD I totally quoted that from memory! Point one for the Weird1! XD

Proverbs 29: 25

The fear of man bringeth a snare, but whoso putteth his trust in the Lord shall be safe.

Also memorized! WHOOT WHOOT!

And now for the Religious issues... I love God, believe in God, trust in God, and will forever stand by God. That's how I am, and I'm not going to get into some silly fight over this. if you disagree, then I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm not going to try and force you to believe, because that would just be wrong. Believe it or not, that's something I learned in school. (Christian School) Shoving the Bible in someone's face only leads to arguements and it's all silly. You don't believe? Well, then be that way. That's how you feel, and I'll respect your opinion.

Now can we please move on from this whole touchy issue? I really don't want to get into ANOTHER fight over this. If you disagree, then good for you, kudos for standing by your opinion, I guess. But I don't wanna fight or argue. Don't hate me because I'm a Christian or don't approve of gays. Please... Let's move on. I'm tired and I've had the cold for a while, and I'm sick of all this back and forth.

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:07 pm

UGH! Between all the touchy issues I think my point was killed off.

The whole reason I brought any of this up, is because I don't think they should force gayness into childrens' faces. It's rude and... Look, if they're parents want their kids to know about all this sexual business, they'll tell them, but it's not right to just shove it into their kids' faces. It's all a big, touchy, crazy issue that I really don't think should be thrown into some poor, unsuspecting kid's lap.

There. My point. All done. No more. FINISHED.

Now I'm off to eat a pound or two of ice cream. If anyone just so happens to be getting interested in God, I have my testimony up on my Fanfiction page. Just click the little blue earth button. I seriously doubt anyone will, though. *Sighs heavily* I'm getting grumpy, I better get outta here before I say something I'll regret. Bye.

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:53 am

John 3:16 is like the only one I know XD I wish I knew more Mad Mad Mad

peachcake21

Female Number of posts : 378
Favorite character : HELGA!
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character Character: *waiting for one . . . *

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:56 am

I think kids should never learn that until they are ready. It disgust me that kids like know that. I mean, most of the kids now about it because of adult swim on cartoon network. THATS NOT RIGHT! It's like parents don't car what their kids are watching anymore. >(

peachcake21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:31 am

@Weird1: You're the one bringing it all up and not lettting it die. No one here has argued with you at all. Or at least, no one here is going to get in your face and tell you your wrong.

However, I disagree wholeheartedly with everything you say. I'm not going to tell you to change your opinion, but I do think you need to be very careful of what you're saying and how you say it. The way you're coming across now IS very accusatory.

You are also claiming that people are gay cannot help it and yet saying that TV should continue ignoring that a whole group of people exist. There's something incredibly illogical in that.

Putting gay couples and acknowledging that homosexuality exists wouldn't be a rude move. Instead it would help to normalize the idea that homosexuality EXISTS (and is a natural, normal thing that can't be helped or changed).

Also, while you identify as Christian, not everyone does. There are plenty of people in the world who would LOVE to see more gay couples on TV and who see the bible as nothing more than a history book. Your religious beliefs are right for you, but that doesn't mean that they apply to everyone.

I was raised Catholic and I do identify as Christian to a point, but I've come to a point in my life where I am going to define what that means for myself. If you find it rude, okay, but that doesn't mean it IS rude. That's your opinion, the end.

And in my opinion, I think that homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are real, tangible things that aren't good or bad or right or wrong. Because, in my opinion, love is ALWAYS a good thing.

Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 am

((So, this was the last off-topic post in the other topic.
Feel free to discuss and comment to others, but make sure to keep it friendly Smile ))

Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:50 am

Squirreltamer wrote:And in my opinion, I think that homosexuality/bisexuality/etc. are real, tangible things that aren't good or bad or right or wrong. Because, in my opinion, love is ALWAYS a good thing.
Amen to that Worship

Hating gay people just because of who they love is just as bad as the slavery in the 17th and 18th century , those people didn't do anything wrong, they were picked only because they were black.. or trying to get rid of Jewish people in the second world was, just because of their religion.. And how about the suppression of women, which is still noticeable everywhere, even in America and Europe.. (that one's in the bible too btw)

Annemiek
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Standard Toaster on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Well hopefully this topic can be discussed without it turning into a huge...flamewar thing. I know these topics tend to make people rage really hard.

Annemiek wrote:
Hating gay people just because of who they love is just as bad as the slavery in the 17th and 18th century , those people didn't do anything wrong, they were picked only because they were black.. or trying to get rid of Jewish people in the second world was, just because of their religion.. And how about the suppression of women, which is still noticeable everywhere, even in America and Europe.. (that one's in the bible too btw)

I agree, and often times, the bible has been used to justify such acts like with pastors during the civil war era and slavery.

Christians used to debate if chewing tobacco and drinking would send you to hell, so to rely on a "traditional"views just for the sake of tradition is unwise.

While many christians don't hate gays, they just see it as a sin. They can often be very loving towards gay people, but at the end of the day they still don't believe a homosexual lifestyle is morally acceptable. Which is where most gay people have a problem with it. Because they want to be in loving relationships, and not just be forced into abstinence or unloving straight relations just to feel without "sin".

Which is why I struggle to not be terribly cynical when talking about the main-stream christian church. :<

Standard Toaster

Female Number of posts : 31
Favorite character : Helga, Miriam
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Character Character: Helga

View user profile http://xilia.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Oh, that's all just silly! I'm not saying they should ignore that a whole group of people exist. What I'm saying is that a lot of people get into fights over this and it's a very touchy issue that makes a lot of people angry and want to hurt eachother. I don't want little kids to be involved in that.

And thank you, Peachcake. I'm glad someone agrees with me. And yeah, a lot of people have John 3:16 programmed into their memory banks and nothing more. I learned Proverbs 29:25 about a month ago. It's not hard to memorize verses. All you have to do is repeat them over and over again in funny accents and songs and before you know it... you know it. Wink

And I'm sorry. I thought they couldn't help it if they were attracted to the same sex. Not everyone is you know. That's why they have labels for it. Homosexuals like the same sex exclusively, and then bisexuals are attracted to everyone, and heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex. Not everyone is attracted to the same sex like gays, which is why they can't help it. You can't help who you like.

And I don't hate gay people. I respect their decision to be with whoever they want, but I do believe it be a sin, but I excuse that because I know they can't control who they love or are attracted to.

And I wasn't referring to everyone arguing with me on the forums, I was referring to everyone yelling at me about this in real life. There have been so many arguments and fights over this that I find it ridiculous. I don't think people should be so angry with gays, because they can't help who they love or are attracted to.

But this subject today is very touchy and people get into fights over it. I just don't want that to be going on, on the playgrounds too on top of it all. If the parents see it fit to tell their kids about it all, then they will, but I don't think it should be thrown into the kid's face through television. They're so young and this is all so... confusing and it makes everyone angry and it's not right to throw the children into the mix amongst it all. They'll find out when they're ready to handle this or everyone stops fighting (Although I doubt that will happen. Everyone stops fighting over this, that is).

Now for Religion, I believe in God and happen to feel in my heart that he is real and I love him. I know that the Bible can be confusing, but if you just took the time to really go through it and understand it you'd see that there's really nothing bad in there. Back in the day people liked to twist God's word around to make it fit what they deemed to be right, that doesn't mean that's what the Bible actually said.

The Bible is very fair and tells us all about God and teaches us valuable lessons and how to get through life without any sorrow or eternal damnation.

Like... Don't kill, don't lie, don't fear man, don't lust after another man/woman's wife/husband, don't steal, trust in God, don't force other people to believe what you believe, treat others the way you want to be treated, love your enemy, always give a second chance, stand firm by God no matter what, God will always love you and show you forgiveness if you accept him and ask for it, don't cheat in competition or on a test, don't cheat on your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband, listen to your parents and love them, don't have sex at a young age, and pretty much... Don't do wrong.

Is any of that really a bad thing? I can feel in my heart that God is here and is always with me through the bad times and the good. He gives me peace... eternal peace, and loves me no matter what. He'll forgive me for anything if I just ask. I asked him into my heart when I was only about seven and I've never looked back. I'm sorry if anyone thinks any of this is bad or wrong or don't believe God even exists... but he died a very painful death just so I wouldn't have to go to Hell, and that right there says it all. They all spit on him, pounded nails into his hands and feet, blinded him, made him wear a crown of thorns, and killed him on the cross... and he could have stopped it all and lived. But he died so I wouldn't have to go through the same thing... so everyone on earth wouldn't have to go through the same thing. He did that... for me. ME! Who is a horrible person! A sinner! A liar! A freakin' mortal who on a daily basis, does wrong! Who is incapable of resisting the temptation of sin! HE WAS PERFECT! HE NEVER SINNED! He actually deserved to live... but he didn't... He died so a sinning, lying, unworthy person like me... could.

Geez, I'm crying right now. I love him so much... And not because I'm sad. I'm crying because of how much I love him and how grateful I am of him. My ears are ringing and I literally feel like I'm going to burst of gratefulness and love and joy. Call me a sap. Call me wrong. But I'm bawling right now because of him... I don't think he could do that to me if he didn't exist.

It's what makes the most sense, and... I don't know what else I could possibly say.

God bless and I'm sorry if you don't agree with me or think I'm wrong. I don't like talking about this, because it usually drives people away from me... and that's just sad because I'm not trying to make anyone angry. But I'm not going to just go and hide in a corner while what I think is right just rots away in my mind forever.

Overall, everyone be with who you want! I'm sure God will forgive you or help you or whatever you think you need. If you are are incapable of loving the same gender, then I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say you're wrong or cuss you out or anything. It's your choice and I respect you, and although God is probably sad, I know he won't hate you either. He made you the way you are for a reason. He understands how you feel and he loves you no matter what. Yes, the Bible says it's a sin, but... God will understand if you have to make that sin. He can feel how you feel, and he knows what you're thinking, and he'll love you no matter what. Christianity is not based around what the Christians on earth believe is right or what they preach... it's based around what the Bible says, and God, and Jesus Christ. It's based around trust and faith and love and... nothing more. He wants you to be happy, and to live a full life of joy and peace. Yes, there will be bumps along the way, trials of your faith... But that's life. I can't explain why good people die or have horrible things happen to them, because that's God's department, not mine. Every bad thing that comes your way will only make you stronger if you stand by God. He's real. I know he is. If you don't believe... then good luck to ya, because life isn't going to be easy for anyone. The difference is that I'm going to Heaven and am happy even though my life is in the toilet... and everyone else is just going to be on their own, fighting with themselves over what the right thing to do is when they don't even know.

Don't judge God by what Christians say or Pastors tell you, because they could be right or they could be just making it up and twisting his word around. The Bible and God himself will tell you what is right through your heart.

This is the last time I'll be posting on here. I'm not going to argue or fight. This is what I believe whole-heartedly.

And Peachcake... Here are some of my favorite verses that I think you might enjoy. They really help you through life. Smile You can memorize them or just skim through them. Stay safe and love God.

Isaiah 41:10
Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness

Matthew 28:20
teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”" Amen.

Hebrews 13:5
Be free from the love of money, content with such things as you have, for he has said, “I will in no way leave you, neither will I in any way forsake you.”

Matthew 21:21-22
21 Jesus answered them, "“Most certainly I tell you, if you have faith, and don’t doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you told this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it would be done.
22 All things, whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”"

Proverbs 27:10
Don’t forsake your friend and your father’s friend. Don’t go to your brother’s house in the day of your disaster: better is a neighbor who is near than a distant brother.

2 Timothy 2:22
Flee from youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Here's a personal favorite...

Matthew 5:43-44
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.’
44 But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you,

Ephesians 6:10-11
10 Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might.
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

I could list thousands, that would help you with things in life. These are just several of my faves. I'll let you choose which you want to be held close to your heart.

Here's a website that will really help you in a time of need or confusion. Big Grin I love it!

Linky:
http://www.shepherdsfold.com/bibleverses/temptation.html

And lastly, if any of these verses don't make sense, I would be happy to translate. Big Grin After you read the Bible for a while, it becomes easier to understand. Smile

Love God and be with who you want, but don't flaunt it around to be the right thing, and don't force it on innocent children who aren't ready to be involved in such serious issues. Kids' channels should respect the childrens' parents' decision, and not shove the issues into their faces. They'll find out when they're ready and the time is right.

I found out about all this at a young age thanks to "Adult Swim" and have been having the same argument with everyone around me ever since. I wish I remained oblivious till I was at least the age I am now, because now I have to deal with all this and I've been having a freakin' tennis match in my head ever since I had it forced onto me. I know "Adult Swim" is a grown up channel, but this is just an example of why I don't think gays should be on actual kid channels.

My grown up brothers told me all about gays and made me watch "Family Guy" at age eight or nine (Somewhere in there), and my mom found out and yelled at them for hours, then banned me from watching "Adult Swim" and "Family Guy". I'm sure that Nickelodeon doesn't want that happening to their channel. They simply don't want to offend people. I think that's fair and mature and right, and it keeps the kids' attention without making their parents mad.

God Bless everyone who reads this, whether you agree with what I have said today or not.

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:48 pm

I understand not wanting to get children involved in serious debates, but the thing is that gay people exist and a lot of children are going to grow up and identify as gay/bisexual/whatever. So, to me, if we have openly gay role models on children's television then it will help to show kids that it's normal.

While I respect your view of - they cannot help it, but it's still a sin - I find it incredibly disheartening. So, you were born as something and because of that you're barred from eternal life? Just because that's the way you are?

And kids don't suddenly just up and turn gay one day. They've been that way from birth. I think normalizing homosexuality would actually PROTECT gay children in the long run, because if it's just something that happens and television helps to emphasize that (because media has power) then those kids that would've been bullied otherwise for being gay will just be seen as normal. And they ARE normal.

There was a kid in my school who was gay, was bullied all through high school about it (I think that was even before he came out) went into therapy and was basically told that he had to stop being gay. Eventually he committed suicide. There are also people who are so afraid of homosexuality (and transgendered women actually get a lot of this too) because they are never ever shown that it's not something that can be helped that they go out and KILL homosexuals just because of the way they are.

So, I'm sorry, but I disagree whole-heartedly. I understand wanting to let the parent's explain, but not all parents are GOING to explain. And you can't just gloss over the fact that gay people exist. Because they DO. It's a fact of life and isn't something that people need to be sheltered from.

Also, no one is condemning your religion. I'm just pointing out that what you feel isn't everyone's feelings and that there are probably people in the world who have never even heard of the Christian God.

It's your choice and I respect you, and although God is probably sad, I know he won't hate you either.

See, here's the thing. It's NOT a choice. People don't just wake up one day and decide they're gay. It's not like a shirt that you can take on and off. Generally, people who identify as gay have ALWAYS felt that way ever since they were young - the problem was that they didn't know how to put it into words and, a lot of times, they end up feeling like there's something wrong with them. There isn't. Sexuality is the same as race or gender.

The difference is that I'm going to Heaven and am happy even though my life is in the toilet... and everyone else is just going to be on their own, fighting with themselves over what the right thing to do is when they don't even know.

*headdesk* Now that sounds very Christian. "Sorry for your eternal damnation, but I'm heading up to the big house!"

So yeah, I'm sorry Weird1, but I think you sound very young and misinformed about the real world. I think you're trying, which is great, but I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture, which is that people don't magically turn gay one day and that gay bashing and violence towards any sexuality other then heterosexuality is common and can result in tragedy. I'm not saying that showing homosexual couples on Kids TV would make all those problems go away, but it would start baby steps towards normalizing homosexuality in our culture so that people can love who they want without having to worry about violence or hatred towards them.

Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 pm

I wonder if it's okay to show two guys holding hands. It's not really showing alot but I just wonder

peachcake21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:23 pm

*Sigh* I know they're born that way. And... This is stupid. Everything you just said I already know! I'm not misinformed. And don't think I'm yelling or am angry right now. For some reason everyone seems to think I am when I post on here. *Shrugs*

First, it is a choice. I know they're born that way, I was referring to them making the choice to come out of the closet and publicly BE gay. And if a kid is gay then I'm sure their parents would notice and help them through it and explain why they feel the way they do.

It's not normal either, it's not something that everyone has to deal with. Therefore, it's not exactly... normal. But it is something that will always be there. But it's not a regular occurance. Not everyone is gay. Most people are actually straight. So it's not normal, but... Honestly... I don't consider anyone to be normal. *Shrugs* Normal is barely even in my vocabulary when it comes to people.

Yes, having gays be on kids' channels would help out the gay kids to feel normal, but then the straight kids would have to watch too and be launched into it all. So over all it's best to just keep it off the air on kids' channels.

And I know not all parents are going to explain, but when the kids are old enough, they will be allowed to watch more grown up television, which DOES have gay people. So they'll find out when they're mature enough to handle more adult channels.

I also had a gay kid come to my school once. He was a mean gay kid though, so I openly despised him. Not because he was gay, but because he was rude, brash and he was always calling ME names. My school is a Christian school too, and he wasn't made fun of or bullied, as far as I know. I watched him pretty closely some days, and he'd just wander around with his group of "girl-friends" and talk about fashion or something. He doesn't come to my school anymore though, because he told me once that my school was a horrible, festering pit of slime that should be shipped straight to Hell and that he was transferring as soon as possible to get away from me and all the other trash people in my school... I really didn't like him, but he wasn't tortured for being gay. Like I said, I watched him closely... Mainly out of curiosity.

And some gay people don't realize they're gay until they're well into their twenties or thirties. Some don't realize it until after they're married and have families. So some people, in a sense, do suddenly wake up one day and are gay.

And I don't think all people should be sheltered from the subject. Just children who are too young to understand it or comprehend it. Gay people are all over the television. I just don't think they should be on kids' channels.

Again, gays are all over the television, just not on kids' channels. But people are still arguing over it even though the media does support it on most channels and tv shows. It's probably going to be argued over forever. *Shrugs* Maybe we'll come to a compromise someday... but probably not before the world ends and we're all dead.

I see that you think it should be on kids' channels to avoid having gay kids bullied... but bullying just in general is something that should be stopped. Bullys pick on anyone who's different no matter what. If you want bullying to be stopped, then there should be more "Stop the bullys" episodes on kids' shows or "Everyone is different but we shouldn't be mean to them for it" episodes. That would help decrease bullying just in general.

I've been verbally bullied for being as weird as I am, or just plain being different and having different opinions... and it sucks. Kids' channels should focus on decreasing bully's, not flashing gay people in innocent kids' faces. That way it would avoid problems with parents, and help out not only the gay kids, but anyone who's different.

Sorry this is so scattered and thrown about. But it's all there. Don't call me misinformed, please... I have my reasons for saying what I say, or I may have simply overlooked something by mistake. I've got my facts straight and know all about gay people. I once had a friend who's mom was gay and lived with several other gay people. So I've met gay people up close, talked with them on why they are the way they are, and I know they're born the way they are. Anything else you have to say before I get the heck out of this topic? I'm tired of arguing over this century old topic that never seems to end... So I'm trying to wrap this up.

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Peachy... I don't know. It would probably just confuse kids if they didn't know about homosexuals. Or make a couple of straight boys/girls who don't know about it look at eachother with disgust. XD

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 pm

how about just walking together?

peachcake21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peachcake21 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:29 pm

@ Wierd1: XD

peachcake21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Weird1 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:41 pm

I guess that would okay, but it would kind of cancel out the point of them being gay.

Weird1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top