Wanna play a game?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wanna play a game?

Post by hatterlet on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey, would anyone be interested in playing a Fanfic game?

One of the most enjoyable set of fics I ever wrote was a collection of song fics. But they weren't Fics with song lyrics in them, it was the song told through the characters and settings of Hey Arnold!. The fun part was trying to figure out what the song was.

So, (if we do this, that is) it can be any pairing. Try to keep it PG-13, no smuttyness. Keep it short- less than four pages. If it's too long for a post, give us a link. It has to follow the song chosen. No fair flaming people for a pairing you don't like, just take a stab at the song. It also gives you a chance to get a review. After a sufficient amount of guesses come in, the author can post and say who had the right guess, or pick a winner. The winner becomes the next author, and writes the next one.

What do you think, guys? Does this sound like something fun? If you want to give it a try, I'll try and have one posted by this evening.

hatterlet

Female Number of posts : 421
Favorite character : Brainy
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Phoebe

View user profile http://goodnightdannytrejo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanna play a game?

Post by Annemiek on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!
I'm not a very good fanfic writer, but I love to read them. And I guess I could even give it a shot if I'd guess the song by accident XD

Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

View user profile http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Alright, here is the first one.

He laid silently in bed, listening to his wife breathing beside him. She snorted unattractively and rolled over, a goofy grin splayed across her lips. He reached over a gentle hand and brushed some of her silver hair away from her eyes, which twitched in the midst of a dream.

Thankfully, the years had been kind to both of them. Even at their advanced age, they usually felt young and spry. He prayed for a few more years for the two of them to spend together, but knew it would probably be soon that they were separated. Every moment they had left together was all the more a treasure for that reason.

He fought off sleep like a grumpy child, forcing his eyes back open. For some reason he didn't want to fall asleep. With his wife slumbering next to him, he felt perfectly relaxed. He glanced across at her once again and watched the moonlight glitter against her hair. He almost felt a sense of regret that she had long since given up those wonderful pigtails that she used to be so famous for. Her bows, too, that he had long ago admired, disappeared with the advent of adulthood. Some days, he felt a sense of regret for the little girl that she had been, but nothing was as sweet as her presence there next to him.

She murmured a bit in her dreams, and he wondered what she was seeing. Her complaints soon ceased and he pulled her close, thanking the stars above that he had finally seen through her petty teasing as a child and found the love of his life. The moment was perfect, something he wanted to last forever. Even if they were both to die right then and there, he would be happy. He relaxed, kissed her eyes, and allowed himself to drift off to sleep.

The next morning, the sound of a slamming door tore him out of his dreams. Arnold stood there in the doorway, staring goggle-eyed at his grandparents.

"Sorry." He said, sheepishly, before backing out of the door. Phil chuckled, watching his embarrassed grandson leave. When the door closed again, he rolled over and pulled Gertie closer to him, smiling as she wrapped an arm around her husband. Their final days were coming, but he knew that he wouldn't miss a single moment until then.

Have fun!

hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:00 pm

"Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith is my guess. Great fanfic, though, either way!

Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:22 am

I think Mel's gonna win this round. Yes, Don't Wanna Miss a Thing, I love that song <3 I used that for a music video once, I'll never get tired of it!

And the fic's awesome! There's not a lot of Phil/Gertie fanfiction out there.

Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

View user profile http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:14 am

Seconded! ...Or Thirdeded. xD

That's definitely "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith. And that was a really sweet fanfic of good ol' Phil and Gertie. <3

NintendoGal55

Female Number of posts : 296
Favorite character : Arnold and Helga :D
Registration date : 2010-02-14

Character Character: Arnold

View user profile http://www.fanfiction.net/~nintendogal55

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:37 am

Ok Mel. You win by consensus. Your turn!

hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 am

Okay, great! ...I hope you're all familiar with this song.

Helga was in her room, daydreaming, as she often did these days. She closed her eyes, remembering the feel of his fingertips on her skin. In that moment, the rest of the jungle had disappeared. It had only been the pair of them together. The images haunted her, the sound of the Spanish lullaby Miles and Stella had taught them echoing through her head. He'd sung the song to her again just months ago.

They'd broken up. She thought he'd come over to make amends, to get back with her. Instead he'd just held her tight and told her they were moving. He'd whispered goodbye and then left her there, standing on the front stoop, too stunned to even cry. She was supposed to have him back. She'd almost had him back.

It wasn't until after he was gone she finally muttered goodbyes under her breath. Goodbye to her hopeless dream. Everyday she struggled not to think about him. Everyday she failed.

She tried to distract herself, but even the simplest of things sent her mind back to the days she'd had him. She'd been so happy then. They'd do things like dance together in the middle of the street, they'd spend all their free time together and she played back every minute of it, over and over again. Worst of all, what played most constantly was him hugging her and saying his goodbye. He'd kissed her again, then, he'd promised he'd never forget about her. Was that true?

She couldn't even wake up without thinking about him. She felt kind of pathetic for it. He was gone, but it seemed almost like he was haunting her. What hurt her the most, though, was that she didn't think he thought of her. He was probably just fine. What was so wrong with her that she'd made it so easy to leave?

She opened her eyes, determined. Today was the day she'd turn her back on all of it. He was only an almost, after all. Weren't they the ones who broke your heart the worst?

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:27 am

*Sniff* So sad...so heart breaking!

Okay, my guess is "Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy.

Last edited by NintendoGal55 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I got the band name wrong)

NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 am

A Fine Frenzy, but it's the right song and basically the right artist. Great job! Guess it's your turn!

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:45 am

SQUEE! (I went and edited the band name...I did have it right there, and I lost it. Damn! But all fixed now.)

All righty then, here's what I got. Hopefully you guys will know the song!

It wasn't easy, going day by day, acting the complete opposite toward him. Often she asked herself why she did what she did when clearly, pushing him around and calling him stupid generic insults was the last thing she ever wanted to do to him. It broke her heart to see his distraught or annoyed expression when she bestowed her daily dose of "Make Arnold's Life Miserable" on him.

Helga sat on a swing in the playground, watching him across the concrete grounds as he was playing basketball with Gerald, Stinky, and Sid. He looked to be having fun, even if he and Gerald were losing. Despite her inner misery, she smiled as she watched him, making sure no one else was looking. She could watch him for hours, no matter what he was doing. Seeing him continuously reminded her that she loved him, that he was the very reason she felt an ounce of happiness at any given time of the day. He was her reason for hope for a bright future. And that was only part of why she loved him.

Even in her darkest moments, he still found the infinite goodness in his heart to express kindness to her. Sometimes she accepted it, albeit for a few minutes before she reverted back to her bullying persona and making him believe otherwise. But sometimes, more like all the time, she ran. Sometimes, she was scared of him. Scared of exposing herself, and with his utmost generosity, gorgeous green eyes, fun blonde hair, his football-shaped head, and his sweet voice, it was so hard not to get mushy and loving when she was around him. He was impossible not to love, not to find adorable.

Deep down, all she wanted was to treat him right.

Maybe one day she would. Maybe one day things would change, and she would never be afraid to show him how she really felt.

Helga gingerly took out her locket and cradled it to her chest, looking toward her beloved with a lovesick smile.

"I may run and hide, Arnold my love...but all I really want to is hold you tight, to treat you right, and be with you day and night. Why must I be bound by this tragic rule set upon me by fate?"

Heavy wheezing was heard behind her, and Helga immediately snapped out of her reverie and scowled. Stupid Brainy. Didn't he have anything better to do? Apparently not.

Her left fist came up on instinct, socking him in the nose and knocking him to the ground. She glared at him over her shoulder as she got off her swing and pocketed her locket.

"You have something against privacy, bub?!" She shouted at him before stomping away to go find Phoebe.

NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:21 am

"Sometimes" by Britney Spears...right?

Also, either way, it was a great little ficlet. I loved the ending especially!

Last edited by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to leave a review, because I'm dense.)

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:44 am

Ding ding ding ding! Is that your final answer? Our survey says...YES! "Sometimes" by Britney Spears! Hooray! You win....A MILLION DOLLARS! OH MY GOD! Yay

xD

Long story short, yes. You were right. >w< Your turn again!

And thank you very much! <3 I'm glad you liked it. ^w^ xD The ending was a little last-minute thing I decided to put in. Because I'm crazy like that. 8D

NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:58 am

Okay, I shall put off updating "Dear Arnold: Letters From Hillwood" just to update this. Do you feel special? ^_-

She supposed the real problem was that she never really acted like a girl. She watched the other girls freak out over other things, and while she'd taken ballet she wound up quitting almost immediately. And while the other girls were already starting to wear training bras and discussing that sort of thing, she could only think of how developing a chess might ruin her football playing ability.

Sometimes she wondered if that was the real reason Arnold looked at her the way he did. Sure, he saw her as a girl (he was probably the only one who did), but it was still more of a sisterly way he looked at her. He'd wave goodbye to other girls, but Helga was lucky if she got a high five. Sure, it was physical contact, but it still seemed so impersonal.

She didn't really want to be seen this way. Not by Arnold, at least. There was that secret part of her that wanted to be feminine, to do things like dances and dress up.

It took most of the summer to facilitate the change. She'd started stealing Phoebe's copies of 17 and she'd started plucking her eyebrow and even shaving her legs. She got a copy of Lolita and studied it until she'd memorized it. At first, she didn't think it could possibly work. Not until the first day of school that fall. When she caught Arnold staring at her.

Interestingly enough, he wasn't the only one staring. Helga hadn't realized it, but she was actually quite a bombshell, and the other guys started flocking to her. She was so taken aback she forgot to be mean to them. But it was all for Arnold, and she was waiting for him to ask her out, even if she did mildly flirt back with the other boys (the attention they gave her was addictive, and she was delighted to see that Arnold was often watching her with the other guys, looking at the very least, annoyed, if not jealous).

One day after school she shooed the other guys off (resorting to threatening them with "Ol Betsy" and the "Five Avengers" when just telling them to clear out didn't work) and caught up to Arnold at his locker. "Hey there, Football Head, how's it going?"

"Oh, hey Helga..." he sniffed at the air. "Do you smell roses?"

"It's my perfume. So, listen...you've been staring at me a lot lately. I just wanted to say..." she fought herself to get the words out, but old habits die hard. "That you need to knock it off before I sock you."

Geez, she groaned mentally. Nice going, Helga, now he'll never like you. You look good now, you've got his attention, be nice!

"Helga, why have you changed so much?" He finally asked.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Yes, you do. You never dress like this or act like this. This isn't you."

"Maybe I'm tired of everyone treating me like I'm a boy," she said after a slight hesitation. "People actually pay attention to me. You've been looking at me, too."

"That's because I miss the old you."

Helga's jaw dropped.

"I mean," Arnold rubbed at his neck, "Don't get me wrong, you look really nice, but it's like you changed just to impress other people, and that's not you. You've always been your own person. I'd always admired that about you."

Helga pulled a tissue out of her pocket and wiped her make up away. "You know what, Arnoldo? You're absolutely right. This isn't me. How 'bout we go out to Gerald Field and I kick your butt at some football?"

"Sounds great, Helga."

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 am

Are we still playing?

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:55 am

I think so, I just don't think anyone's guessed the song yet! Maybe you should just pick someone at random if no one gets it?

hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 am

Well, I want to see if maybe people didn't read it or something. I'm sure someone knows this one, but if another day or so passes with no one guessing I'll just pick at random.

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:54 am

I definitely read it! It's awesome and well done. 8D

I'm just totally stumped. XD Forgive meeeeeeeee, O Great One! Worship

NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:56 am

*laughs* Well, I'm not sure anyone's going to get it (I really thought this one was easier than the "Almost Lover" one, THAT one I thought would stump people. Clearly I'm not hip to what people listen to...)

It's Katy Perry's "One of the Boys". So either one of you can take the next turn.

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NintendoGal55 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 am

XD Don't be silly, it's just a matter of whether or not one knows the song. It's okay!

hatterlet, why don't you go this time? I went last, so why don't you take a turn? C:

NintendoGal55

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 am

Alrighty. Let's see.....

Ok. Alert, Alyssa, don't read this one! It's CurlyxRhonda! Big Grin

It was Christmas Eve, and it was snowing. Not the pleasant, big fluffy flakes, but those nasty wet little pellets that melt and make everything messy. Curly glanced up at the sky illuminated by the harsh sodium vapor lights of the supermarket parking lot. For his pains he received a face-full of the ridiculous precipitation. He sighed and yanked off his glasses to wipe them clean on his scarf. He stomped his feet to keep warm in the frigid air, then popped his glasses back on his face and hurried into the warmth of the store.

Curly picked up a basket and wandered aimlessly down an aisle. He weighed two loaves of bread in his hands, trying to decide on either French or Italian bread. From the next aisle over, he heard what sounded like someone frantically dialing a cell phone and shouting into it. Concerned, Curly peered around the corner to see if something was wrong. A young dark-haired woman in a red wool coat stood staring into a freezer case with a phone pressed to her ear.

“Yes, Nadine, it is an emergency! The cook has the night off for Christmas and I have to find my own dinner! All the restaurants are closed and this is the only store open that I can find. I simply cannot decide whether or not to get a Lean Cuisine Panini or the Healthy Choice Ravioli.” She paused, listening. Whatever was said caused her to scrunch her face up in rage and she slammed the phone shut. After her tantrum, she went back to staring moodily into the frozen foods.

Gathering his courage, Curly snuck up behind the woman and lightly touched her sleeve.

“I’d go with the Ravioli.” He said quietly. She turned abruptly and raised a hand as if to hit him, before pausing in confusion. For a moment she could only stare as he pulled his hand back. “Hello, Rhonda.”

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open.

“Curly? Oh my- holy- Curly!” She flung her arms around him, but kicked the designer purse that was on the floor at her feet. She stopped just shy of Curly’s shoulders and glanced down at the various credit cards and cosmetics on the tile floor. Curly looked bemusedly at her, unsure how she would react. When the expected fury didn’t come, he began to chuckle. Rhonda, still staring at the floor, began to laugh as well. Soon both of them were laughing so hard that both had tears flowing down their faces.

“Curly, it’s so good to see you.” She said a few moments later as they both stood in the checkout line. The cashier scanned Rhonda’s ravioli and Curly’s lasagna ingredients. He dug in his pockets for a wallet, but Rhonda stopped him. Silently, she handed the cashier a Visa card and gave Curly a dazzling smile. He blushed slightly and turned away.

When Rhonda finished paying for the groceries, she found him fiercely examining a display of candy bars. She paused, unsure what to say. It had been so long since their brief, whirlwind romance in high school. Finally, she placed a slim hand on his shoulder and said
“Do you want to go get a drink?”

The bell on the door of Hillwood Fine Liquors rank shrilly as Rhonda and Curly tumbled out the door, laughing again.

“And then, then Sheena said ‘You animal! and I said, ‘No, that’s the coat!” Curly laughed appreciatively, concentrating more on the puddles and not dropping the drinks. Rhonda continued. “I can’t believe there is not a place left open in town.”

“Well, it is Christmas Eve, Rhonda.” Curly replied as they reached the car. Piling in, Rhonda turned up the heat full blast and they sat and watched the snowflakes melt on the windshield. He pulled out a bottle and handed it to her, which she took gracefully.

“A toast.” She suggested. Curly retrieved a drink for himself and clinked it against her bottle.

“To being young and innocent- fifteen years ago.” Rhonda smiled and took a swig. Curly glanced across at her and felt a familiar sadness welling up inside- an emptiness that had followed him since high school. Rhonda stared gloomily out the front window as she delivered her next statement.

“I got married, you know. A few years back. His name’s Marcus and he’s in architecture.” Curly felt the bottom of his stomach drop out

“That’s- that’s great Rhonda.” She glanced over at him, curious at his tone. “You must love each other very much. She smiled sadly.

“Well, I don’t like to lie. You know, he’s a great husband, he makes me feel safe. But still…” she sighed. Curly tentatively snaked an arm around her shoulder.

“He’s a lucky man.” She smiled up at him. It was nice to look up, the last time she had looked down. “You know,” Curly continued, “your eyes are still as blue as I remember.” She blinked, tears suddenly collecting in the corners. A strange emotion flickered across their sapphire expanse, which Curly could not quite identify. Was it doubt? Or gratitude?

Rhonda pulled away from Curly’s one armed embrace and dug in her purse for a tissue. She pulled down the visor mirror and dabbed at her mascara.

“Well, what about you? Are you still in that band? I saw some of your CD’s in the music store the other day.” She snapped the visor shut and looked expectantly at her bespectacled companion. He glanced at the floor, embarrassed.

“Not really. I loved performing, and the audiences were great. But I hated the travelling. I didn’t like being away from home.” He reached for his bottle, but had subconsciously drained it through the conversation. Beside him, Rhonda yawned and stretched. Curly took the hint and gathered his grocery bags from around his feet.

“I suppose I’ll take my leave then, Rhonda. I’m glad I got to see you again.” With a pang of sadness, he added another comment “Tell your husband I said hello and I look forward to maybe meeting him.” With that, he crawled out of the car.

“Curly, wait.” Rhonda called as she caught his wrist. He stopped and let himself be pulled into her car. Placing a hand on either side of his face, she kissed him tenderly. “I’ve missed you Curly. It was good to see you.” She shifted back into her own seat and gripped the wheel. Curly stepped out of the car for a second time and closed the door gently.

Rhonda revved her engine and peeled out of the parking lot, leaving Curly to cough through the fumes. He waved slightly as she left, but she didn’t see him. A memory came to him as her car disappeared from sight. The day that the most popular girl in the senior class of Hillwood High dumped her geeky boyfriend and left him crying on the school steps. Tugging his coat tighter around him, Curly angrily banished the memory. He flipped his collar up and began the long walk home as the Christmas snow turned into rain.

hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 am

It was cute, but I hope she does read it because she might actually know the song. I feel like I know it, but if I do the song's escaping me.

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 am

LOL, I like the little warning for me! XD

Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

View user profile http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 am

Also, this one is easy. "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelburg.

Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596
Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Character Character: Harold

View user profile http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hatterlet on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am

I wish we had a clapping smiley.

Congrats, Alyssa, you win! You get a cookie.

Your turn!

hatterlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:33 pm

Sponsored content