Big Bob Pataki

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Big Bob Pataki

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:01 am

I'm sorry I start so many threads, but I like asking questions and being generally annoying.

What do you think of Bob? Is there a soul underneath that greed, big white belt and all those pork rinds? It seems that some fanfics paint him as a complete monster...a lot of times when he's middle of the road, or only as bad as he was in the series (which could be bad, mind you), Miriam became overly sympathetic (suddenly magically able to do more than drink her smoothies and sleep all day). Now, I know it was confirmed that Bob was holding Miriam back, but do you think he was aware of his roll in it? Why or why not?

Bob did have a few humanizing moments. The most stand out was certainly "Quantity Time" with him trying to spend quality time with Helga and ending with them mocking "Rats: The Musical!" together.

Personally, I think there's more under the surface. Yes, Bob's shown as ...inattentive, but it seems like he's always been there for Helga, whether she realizes this or not. Good evidence for this is that her personality almost directly mirrors his. It may not be the greatest learned behavior, but kids often imitate what they see, and it makes sense once Miriam started drinking that Bob may have had to take over for a bit in Helga's care.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. He's not my favorite character (I'll say it before, and I'll say it again - I will never forgive him for calling Arnold 'that orphan kid' in "Parents Day"), but he's not the worst. He's human, he's flawed and...he's probably a bad parent to a degree. But what do you think is below that? What do you think caused it all?

Last edited by Perhapsormaybe on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posting after midnight means spelling errors.)

Perhapsormaybe

Female Number of posts : 562
Favorite character : Helga
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Big Bob Pataki

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:06 am

Perhapsormaybe:

You're not annoying! Far from it! In fact, I think you just brought up something very thought-provoking.

Although Bob's actions in "Parent's Day" were unforgivable and completely out of line, I do think there's a lot more to him than what meets the eye. I think he might've been aware that he played a part in keeping Miriam back, and I do think he probably felt remorseful for doing so. "Hey Arnold!" often implied that Miriam was someone with a promising future and a lot going for her before she married Bob. Chances are that he realizes this and regrets destroying all the things Miriam had going for her before the two got married. I don't think it was actually his intention to do that, and maybe he had good intentions that either blew up in his face, or fell through, causing his wife to become a depressed alcoholic.

People tend to inherit their parenting skills from their own parents and what they grew up with, too. It's possible that Bob might be emulating what his parents were like. He might've grown up with parents who were very career oriented and who left all the child care needs to a nanny or other extended family. On the other hand, it's possible too that Bob might've grown up in an environment that lacked any sort of stability and where his mother wasn't present (This could apply either figuratively or literally). In both instances, I could see him trying to remedy the situation by making Miriam stay home with her girls, and her feeling held back by it. If he happened to grow up in a home without stability, I could see him working hard and trying so hard to give his family the stability he never had through fiscal means.

And I agree with you on this: Once Miriam started drinking, he probably had to take over the care taking for Helga, and he's the one parent who's actually been there most of the time when Miriam is far from sober. I do think Bob had good intentions (The "Quantity Time" episode is a real testament to that), but often times it doesn't transfer over well.

I don't think he's a complete monster like people make him out to be, but I do see him having a temper sometimes getting the best of him. However, like you've mentioned, he is flawed and he his human with faults of his own to overcome. And though his parenting skills are something to be desired, there is a definite cause for why he is the way he is and why he acts the way he does. I think it would've been interesting, had "The Patakis" aired and actually gone into depth on what Bob's family background and history was.

After all, everyone has one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annemiek on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm

I've always seen my dad as the Big Bob of our family (thank god my mom's not an alcoholic XD ), so it's always been easy for me to relate to Helga. It's very, very annoying and frustrating when someone won't listen to you, literally won't even listen to what you have to say, and simply interupts you to yell his own opinions on things.
I don't really get along with my dad because of that, he doesn't listen to me, he doesn't trust me, he doesn't understand me, he has no manners and hates everything that's in his way.. and I think that's exactly what Helga's going through as well..
Some people are just ignorent and take everything for granted, until one day their daughter disappears. I'm sure Big Bob loves Helga, but he doesn't realize it well enough.

I'm positive that Big Bob's family, or at least his dad, is just like that. I don't think he got a lot of love when he was young.
I can understand why Miriam started to drink, it must've been one of those 'let's stay together for the kids' kinda situation, and I guess that she started drinking to escape reality.

Annemiek
Admin

Female Number of posts : 518
Favorite character : Eugene <3
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Character Character: Eugene

View user profile http://www.ABCreatief.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

@ Annemiek:

Miriam drinking to escape reality is highly probable. I'm also sorry about your dad; I do hope the two of you will have a better relationship in the future.

The sad thing about the marriages where the parents just stay together for the children is that sooner or later, it becomes apparent that the parents don't really love each other, and their children see that firsthand. They see that their parents are both stuck in a loveless marriage and aren't happy, and it ends up hurting them, too.

Helga's a smart girl. If Bob and Miriam just stayed together for her and Olga's sake, I could see her reading in between the lines and seeing right through their facade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:52 am

It would have been interesting to see Helga's paternal grandparents and to see how they treated Bob. They'd probably adore Helga (let's face it, grandparents are always nicer to grandkids then their own children). I do wonder how horrible Bob's own parents were, and if he does realize what he did to Miriam, if he feels any guilt over her alcoholism.

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 pm

@ Perhapsormaybe:

I think it'd be interesting to see both sets of Helga's grandparents. I think it'd be interesting to see what Miriam's parents are like and to see how they feel about her being married to Bob and how they'd react to her alcoholism.

With Bob's parents, perhaps, like him, they meant well, but it just didn't transfer over properly. It would've been really interesting for an episode of "The Patakis" to cover this.

Also, sorry for the late reply, but I've been out of town for the past few days and haven't been able to get onto the forum until now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perhapsormaybe on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:09 am

That's all right, One Fine Wire, I expect everyone to have lives out of the computer!

It would have been fascinating to see Helga's grandparents, just to get a better feel for Bob and Miriam. I also would have loved a flashback episode to how the two fell in love in the first place, and whether Miriam resents him at all for giving up on her dreams, and if Bob realizes if he did that to her...

It may be time for another oneshot.

Perhapsormaybe

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 am

That's a great idea.