Favorite character : Helga, Harold
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Hey Arnold! Role Playing Game
Character Character: Harold

View user profile http://farkledagain.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: If you were to reboot Hey Arnold...

Post by Perhapsormaybe2 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:52 am

Honestly, I wouldn't reboot Hey Arnold!...but I think the time is ripe for The Patakis. More mature cartoons are practically a staple of cable and satellite tv these days. It's not really all that much darker than say, Adventure Time or the numerous cartoons intended for adults that children are watching. Putting it on at around 7 pm or so on Nick could make it a good draw for them, especially as nostalgia is on a particular high right now.

Perhapsormaybe2

Female Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2014-08-27

Character Character:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 am

IDK if I'd reboot the series but I'd love for an extension of what we already have. A new show, sort of, having them going into grade 5 or 6, or hell, maybe even 7th grade. Voice changing would make it a little easier to accommodate for unavailable voice actors or those whose voices have changed, as well as jumping into an era that I think is sort of neglected in a lot of TV shows. We get high schoolers and middle schoolers, but we get them in a way where they're smack dab in the middle of the year and they sort of know the score.

Basically, I'd like to see them in the most confusing and uncomfortable time for most kids, in that really lovely organic way that Hey Arnold! was always able to express. I would love to see all the awkward situations, uncomfortable moments, and that feeling that you're starting to grow up, tied in with all the heart and soul that the show originally had. The 5th and 6th graders were such an intimidating and uncertain factor for the gang when the show was on, putting them in those shoes would be a mighty interesting leap, I think. Them being a little older would also be able to see them fleshed out more, how they grow and have grown, see how certain characters are beginning to come into their own, find independence, find level ground, a midst all the ridiculousness and anxiety of middle school. It's not as big of a jump as the Rugrats cartoon made, just a year or two's difference, and I think the humor and the nostalgia factor would be enough to draw in the original target audience, as well as new material and a sort of reintroduction to really lovable characters that would bring in a brand new crowd.

One of the things I loved most about Hey Arnold! was it was about kids who were sort of starting to realize how much bigger the world was beyond what they already knew, learning to make the right choices despite a lot of negativity surrounding them, and finding the heart to soldier on and be better. Middle school definitely felt like that time when you started to realize you weren't 100% a kid anymore, and I think it'd be really nice to see how the gang reacts and adjusts to growing up and having to face HIGH SCHOOL in just a few short years.

And it would make sense for a slightly older group to have a sort of agenda that 9 year olds don't, and I think it would be better for it to focus on Helga instead of Arnold. Actually, I think all of this is what I wanted The Patakis to be, but I don't know if a show that centered solely around the Patakis would be something that could stick. I think a show centered around Helga finding herself, as well as everyone else coming into their own, would be ideal. Arnold could be hunting down information related to his parents, Gerald could be finding a way to distinguish himself to his family, etc., and Helga would be the ideal point of view for that setting: an angry girl with a really soft heart, juggling her terrible family with all the weirdness of middle school.

WOW THAT WAS A LOT LONGER THAN I PLANNED ANYWAY......

AlisonSwift

Female Number of posts : 141
Favorite character : Harold, or Brainy.
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Character Character: Rhonda

View user profile http://alison-swift.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 am

I was actually talking to Criminyy the other day about this and I guess I'm on the same page as you of doing The Patakis, except that I wouldn't actually do The Patakis? I LOVE the idea of Arnold leaving and Helga learning to deal without him. I have no interest in watching a show without Arnold in it.

I suggested about them instead doing a timeskip - the kids will maybe be around 16-18 and Arnold comes back. And basically no one really cares about him anymore and his friends have all moved on and fallen out of touch and a lot of the "magic" of things is gone. And it really brings Arnold down and he's miserable at first.

But then like, one day Eugene just sits down next to him and starts to have lunch with Arnold for no other reason than that they used to be friends and Eugene likes hims and it lights a renewed fire in our football head.

And from there out the series is about Arnold breathing LIFE back into the city and getting all the old PS118 kids to remember who they used to be and the things they managed to do together. They were HEROES (David Bowie starts playing).

The main hook of the whole first season will be that we get VERY little interaction with Helga. Or like, Arnold will literally run into her again and again, but we don't get the monologues or soliloquies that we got in the original series. So there's this huge unspoken question of: DOES HELGA STILL LOVE ARNOLD???

Answer: Yeah, duh, but she's also super mad that he came back because she was over him and HEALED and she's afraid him coming back will rip the wound right back open. And what if he comes back only to LEAVE AGAIN???

Squirreltamer

Female Number of posts : 596

Back to top Go down

Post by AlisonSwift on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:21 am

Oh geez I really love that and I super want it.

Just. Arnold kind of dragging his friends back a little bit, saying hey hey relax you guys. You're going too fast.

UGH, Alyssa, my HEART.

AlisonSwift

Female Number of posts : 141
Favorite character : Harold, or Brainy.
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Character Character: Rhonda

View user profile http://alison-swift.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:28 am

I thought it'd strike a nice chord. Like... Arnold will essentially be taking the same view point as the watchers in the beginning (who will be largely in their 20s) - sort of jaded and lost and unsure, but then he'll basically move forward by moving backwards? Reminding them of childhood and goodness and saving the world or at least a neighborhood.

Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by criminyy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 am

I'd love to see that as the next installment for future Arnold stuff!! Ahhh. I always liked that idea, really. I wouldn't want a reboot hahaha.

criminyy

Female Number of posts : 25
Favorite character : Too many!

Character Character: Sid

View user profile http://criminy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 am

My FOR REAL ideal is just for them to give me TJM and then put out a monthly HA! comic for at least a year.

Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by criminyy on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:40 am

No kidding. Sherm Cohen's Arnold comics in the Nickelodeon magazines are great!!...
It would be rad if they picked the series up as a graphic novel...like how they did it with ATLA!

criminyy

Female Number of posts : 25
Favorite character : Too many!

Character Character: Sid

View user profile http://criminy.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by agshepherd on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 am

Squirreltamer wrote: I LOVE the idea of Arnold leaving and Helga learning to deal without him.  I have no interest in watching a show without Arnold in it.

Replace "watch" with "create" and you've got Craig's stance on the whole issue. <3

agshepherd

Female Number of posts : 221
Favorite character : Pooter
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Character Character: Helga

View user profile http://soapboxshouts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Squirreltamer on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 am

agshepherd wrote:Replace "watch" with "create" and you've got Craig's stance on the whole issue. <3

AUUUUGH Good to know! It's my biggest issue with The Patakis. I LOVE the idea of Arnold moving away for a time. I don't want to watch a whole show without him. I love Arnold too much. I need that sunshine boy in my life.

Squirreltamer

Back to top Go down

Post by agshepherd on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 am

Squirreltamer wrote:
agshepherd wrote:Replace "watch" with "create" and you've got Craig's stance on the whole issue. <3

AUUUUGH Good to know!  It's my biggest issue with The Patakis.  I LOVE the idea of Arnold moving away for a time.  I don't want to watch a whole show without him.  I love Arnold too much.  I need that sunshine boy in my life.

Although- I dont think leaving Helga absent would do any favors at all.

Helga (Fran specifically) was a huge reason for the show's original success despite her not being the main character of the series.

agshepherd

Female Number of posts : 221
Favorite character : Pooter
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Character Character: Helga

View user profile http://soapboxshouts.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oranjeac on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:57 am

Squirreltamer wrote:I suggested about them instead doing a timeskip - the kids will maybe be around 16-18 and Arnold comes back.  And basically no one really cares about him anymore and his friends have all moved on and fallen out of touch and a lot of the "magic" of things is gone.  And it really brings Arnold down and he's miserable at first.

But then like, one day Eugene just sits down next to him and starts to have lunch with Arnold for no other reason than that they used to be friends and Eugene likes hims and it lights a renewed fire in our football head.

And from there out the series is about Arnold breathing LIFE back into the city and getting all the old PS118 kids to remember who they used to be and the things they managed to do together.  They were HEROES (David Bowie starts playing).

Oh man, I really love that idea. I also briefly thought about the cast being college-aged too, but I don't think that would work since most of the gang would probably be out of town studying somewhere else.

oranjeac

Female Number of posts : 4
Favorite character : Sid, Helga, Gerald
Registration date : 2015-03-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:32 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top